Friday 29 August 2014

Charles Awurum: Yes, actresses pay to act in film



Imo State-born actor cum director, Charles Awurum, has joined the league of multi-millionaires as he recently got endorsement deal with Globacom. The University of Calabar Theatre Arts graduate and father of three kids in this interview took us down memory lane, as he talked about his career and life experiences. Enjoy it.

Globacom recently endorsed you as a brand ambassador?

Yes, I was in Lagos last week to shoot a commercial for Globacom. I must appreciate Chief (Mike) Adenuga for his great love for entertainment and interest in my career. So many times they’ve called me for adverts, commercials and soaps. We will soon embark on a street show in over six states in Nigeria. The show is tagged ‘Glo Street Show’ and my appearance has been approved. In fact, when I got the invitation my heart was filled with joy.

How do you feel being a millionaire? 

(Laughter) It is good when you are appreciated and commended for your good work. And it is always a pleasure working for Globacom. But for now, I am not yet a millionaire, until the contract is signed and approved. However, mere seeing it on paper is worth celebrating and I look forward to being Glo brand ambassador. I appreciate God for this upliftment in my life, and I thank the Glo management for their support. I must also appreciate my producers, directors and fans for believing in me.

You don’t have a funny look, how do you get into your character as a comic actor?

As an actor, I can act any role not just comic role. I remember getting two scenes in the movie titled ‘Long John’ which was not easy at that time but I had to convince my friend, Sunny Nnagida and the role was given to me. Then, I started featuring in comic movies such as ‘World Apart’ and ‘I Need A Woman’ and because of this, producers no longer give me serious roles. I don’t like the idea of being stereotyped in movies, which is common in the industry. It’s not proper to restrict an actor on a particular role; it is not professional. I have done so many movies and stage plays as an actor, and I think an actor should be seen as an actor, not a comic.

How has this stereotype thing affected your career? 

It has not changed anything in my life. I still live my normal life. You don’t expect to see me on the road behaving like a comedian. You can see me playing in comedy movies, but behind the set, I am Charles Awurum. So, ordinarily you don’t expect to see me doing comic acts that will make you laugh. People often gaze at me and when they don’t get what they expect, they feel disappointed. I don’t need to do funny things for you aside acting because I am an actor not a comedian.

How would you describe yourself behind set?

I am a very serious minded person. I like to leave a legacy for people to remember my immense contribution. I don’t believe in waiting for the coming of the Lord, instead I move to the Lord and grab Him to receive whatever I need from Him. I am a very simple, friendly and peaceful person. I have experienced life; it doesn’t give me joy when people misbehave because of worldly possession or qualifications. And because you are an actor, you want people to treat you like God, it is wrong. That person you meet today might be your messiah tomorrow. Most of our artistes are guilty of the attitude. Life is unpredictable; you could lose it at anytime. So, whatever you feel you have achieved, someone has been privileged to achieve it before you.

Is it true that actresses pay to feature in movies? And what is your take on this development in Nollywood?

Is it true the desperate ones pay certain amount of money to feature in movies to some of our producers, whether they know how to act or not? So, with that they are leaving out professionals who will give them the best. And it is affecting production. So many girls are doing different things in the name of becoming actress. You see up-coming actresses arriving film locations with big cars, they pay for their hotel accommodation, feeding and also pay over N300,000 just to feature in a film. They are gradually destroying professionalism. But I believe this phase will go and Nollywood will be sanitised.

1 comment :

  1. "I don’t believe in waiting for the coming of the Lord, instead I move to the Lord and grab Him to receive whatever I need from Him."

    ok nah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...